

BOROUGH OF WILMERDING  
MINUTES FROM OCTOBER 3, 2017 REGULAR MEETING OF BOROUGH COUNCIL

The meeting was called to order by President Stephen Shurgot at 7:00p.m.

The Pledge of Allegiance was led by the President

Please take a moment of silence for those who lost their lives and were injured in the tragedy in Las Vegas.

**ROLL CALL: REV. DOROTHY REEVES, present; KAREN PETERSON, present; LINDA KIRK, present; SANDRA SMITH, present; PAULA SHURGOT, present; JOHN THOMAS, present; STEPHEN SHURGOT, present. MAYOR GREGORY JAKUB was also present.**

**REV. REEVES / S. SMITH TO ACCEPT THE MINUTES OF THE SEPTEMBER 5, 2017 MEETING AS PRESENTED. MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL, 7-0.**

**PETITIONS & MEMORIALS**

**P. LIVERATTI AIRBRAKE AVENUE:** how are we resolving the issue of our local taxes? We give them to the tax collector and he sends notices out and nothing happens after that.

**J. THOMAS:** I'll be getting 2016 from our delinquent tax collector. We get a list and file liens, they intern send their notification from Maiello and they go after them.

**P. LIVERATTI:** how about a suggestion, council members sign a letter to all these delinquents and ask them to please pay.

**S. SHURGOT:** we send it from the tax collector and the delinquent collector. You think our signatures would be more powerful. We will take that under consideration.

**CORRESPONDENCE:**

1. Wilmerding planning Commission is requesting that Council allow our engineer to test the ground on Russian Hill to see if the ground is stable to build on.

**K. PETERSON:** what are you thinking about up there?

**J. TOMASIC:** well we have a couple of ideas but it's hard to plan something and get a grant when you don't own the property and that's one of the places we own. We are trying to get some other so as we are looking at the grants we can see what we can plug in.

**S. SMITH:** I know that you need clearance on that ground to make application but what exactly are you making application for?

**J. TOMASIC:** we have 3 different areas and the area that has the most grant money is recreation so we were thinking about a dog park. The other thing we are looking at is a playground for children.

**S. SMITH:** so the playground you were thinking about the Welsh property that we just demolished.

**J. TOMASIC:** yes. There is limited flat land here so it has to be on a hill. We are looking into some pre fab houses and we have some interest from people who want to build but we have to investigate. I looked under the ordinances for trailers

BOROUGH OF WILMERDING  
MINUTES FROM OCTOBER 3, 2017 REGULAR MEETING OF BOROUGH COUNCIL

and we don't have anything. Now the 2 that are up are the Fan Club and the Ukrainian Club but they are commercial, we don't have anything for houses so we will have to look into that.

**J. THOMAS / L. KIRK TO DISCUSS THE PLANNING ALLOWING THE ENGINEER TO TEST THE STABILITY OF THE GROUND ON RUSSIAN HILL. MEMBERS VOTED APPROBAL, 7-0.**

2. Wilmerding planning Commission is requesting to investigate the unused property on Welsh Avenue. The Commission feels if the Borough has complete ownership of these lots we will be able to use them in a more meaningful manor. Also, if this project works we can start taking ownership of other unused lots to improve the towns look and place these properties back on the tax role.

**S. SHURGOT:** if you remember at our last meeting there was some questions raised with the solicitor and we had thought maybe if he sent a letter asking that the people make a donation so we don't have to go through the legal process. We can either ask the solicitor to do that tonight or talk about that at the workshop.

**P. SHURGOT / J. THOMAS TO DISCUSS AT WORKSHOP THE SOLICITOR SENDING A LETTER FOR THE DONATION OF THE PROPERTY ON WELSH AVENUE. MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL, 7-0.**

3. Bill Miller from Signstat wants to know if we would be interested in changing the header on the electronic sign.

**P. SHURGOT / S. SMITH TO HAVE CAROLINE GET A PRICE ON CHANGING THE SIGN AND DISCUSS IT AT THE NEXT MEETING. MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL 7-0.**

**G. JAKUB:** that was the sign of the Lion's club; I don't know why we would want to make a change to it. It was a joint venture wilt Compass.

**P. SHURGOT:** I thought we were all in agreement that we were going to leave it like that and now the sign guy wants to make money. Let her get the prices and we can come back and talk about it at the workshop. We are fine with it staying Wilmerding Lions Club.

4. Mrs. Peterson has requested a handicap sign be placed at 421 Marguerite Avenue. All paperwork is on hand and in order.

**S. SMITH / P. SHURGOT TO APPROVE THE HANDICAP SIGN AT 421 MARGURIE TE AVENUE. MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL 7-0.**

5. ALCOSAN sent a letter informing us that our application for grant funding under the Green Revitalization of Our Waterways (GROW) has been approved and we will be receiving \$140,318.00 in grant money. This is 85% of the determined eligible total project cost of \$165,080.00.

**COMMITTEE REPORTS**

**PUBLIC SAFETY – L. KIRK:** Fire Department report; they responded to 21 calls, 5 in town 16 out of town. They had 2 work details, 8 trainings, and 5 equipment hours.

EMS had 30 calls and 24 of them were transports. Their average emergency response time was 7.7 minutes and non-emergency response time was 10.4 minutes. Eastern Area will be offering a free flu shot clinic on October 17 from 3pm – 6pm in council chambers.

BOROUGH OF WILMERDING  
MINUTES FROM OCTOBER 3, 2017 REGULAR MEETING OF BOROUGH COUNCIL

**INSPECTOR KEARNS:** for the month of September we had 365 events. There were 12 abandoned vehicles, 5 animal complaints, 4 assaults, 65 assist to other police departments, 1 burglary, 1 disorderly conduct, 7 domestic disputes, 1 DUI, 1 fugitive arrest, 9 local ordinance, 3 motor vehicle crashes, 10 narcotics, 1 overdose, 3 thefts, 87 traffic stops, 1 warrant, and 3 weapons. There were a total of 30 arrests including 3 simple assaults, 3 fugitives, 10 narcotics, 1 DUI, and 1 public drunkenness.

We had an incident on Saturday involving a hit and run by a stolen vehicle but we were able to successfully make an arrest in that case and identify 2 suspects by the cameras in the park.

Crime watch placed the order for the signs and they came in. 3 of them were donated from business in the area and council will be covering the other 3. Crime watch is also going to have a bake sale table at the flea market and they ask if any wish to assist by baking or helping with a donation to help with any future things with the crime watch.

**PUBLIC WORKS – P. SHURGOT:** The new foreman started in the middle of the month and we've taken care of many streets so far and are working on some other ones. They made a better banner around the Faller building so now they don't have to fix it every day, and they built a new leaf box. I have a request from the foreman to buy a new backpack blower, hedge trimmer, and another weed Wacker. The cost of that with the sale at Penn Hills rental would be \$903.97. After talking with Caroline they found out there is only \$1500.00 left in the budget to buy things.

**S. SMITH:** I think we could use that blower tight now and have the 2 of them attacking the leaves. The weed Wacker I know we need.

**P. SHURGOT:** the 3<sup>rd</sup> item was a hedge trimmer to get the heavier brush like around the walking trail, Orient and Morningside.

**J. THOMAS:** on the finance part of it we had a meeting with the insurance agent and we're going to be saving money because one of our employees is not taking the insurance. We will have to compensate him and we will discuss that at the workshop but the amount we are going to save would cover that.

**G. JAKUB:** hedge trimmer or chainsaw?

**P. SHURGOT:** He has hedge trimmers and trimmers. When I talked to him it was more to do the weeds and stuff.

**G. JAKUB:** you know the larger stump branches it would be better to have a chainsaw.

**S. SMITH:** we have one

**J. THOMAS / K. PETERSON TO PURCHASE A BACKPACK BLOWER, HEDGE TRIMMERS, AND WEEDWACKER FROM PENN HILLS RENTAL AT THE COST OF \$903.97. MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL 7-0.**

**P. SHURGOT:** The other request and I think this could be held off until the spring is a pressure washer but I'm not sure what we would use it for. I think for as often as we would use it renting it would be better. I think we will hold that until spring.

**J. THOMAS:** the fire department had one and it's no longer working. Let me see if the Fire departments can be repaired.

**P. SHURGOT:** they also went to a class for traffic signs and rules and regulations yesterday.

BOROUGH OF WILMERDING  
MINUTES FROM OCTOBER 3, 2017 REGULAR MEETING OF BOROUGH COUNCIL

**J. THOMAS:** one thing I want to add and Paula you are probably aware of it, there is a V box spreader and the foreman said there is someone interested in it. If they pay the price he's asking we should be pretty good with the cost to buy the new things.

**S. SHURGOT:** Engineers report was given at caucus. We do have one action. We need a motion to apply for the CD-44 application for the Airbrake park project that is \$47,370 and the Caldwell Avenue Street reconstruction for \$60,000.

**K. PETERSON / REV. REEVES TO APPLY FOR THE CD-44 APPLICATION TO IMPROVE AIRBRAKE PARK AND THE RECONSTRUCTION OF CALDWELL AVENUE. MEMBERS VOTED 7-0.**

**COG REPORT – K. PETERSON:** For anybody interested they are going to do more classes for the local government academy, you can check the website for that. Also we are voting to change bylaws. You can either have a council member or the Mayor be the COG representative. They also are trying to put together a program to get a street sweeper and a vactor and some other things. They are working with several other communities because a consent decree regulation requires that they sweep their streets almost 4 days a week. We questioned it.

**S. SHURGOT:** let's refer that question to the engineer.

**J. THOMAS:** when you go to the next meeting tell them we need a brush hog.

**K. PETERSON:** Monroeville is having an electronic recycling day at the public works on October 7, from 9-1. Open to anyone but there is a cost to it. They charge by the pound.

**BOROUGH PROPERTY – S. SMITH:** I have a request, we had our light redone years ago but we failed to have the one in the hallway by the jail cell done. It needs replaced; it's hanging by the wires. I would like permission to get someone into look at it and possibly get it replace with 2 lights.

**J. THOMAS:** I have contacted the electrician that id some work for us and we have another issue with a plug circa 1940 wiring. When I get ahold of him I will have him come up and look at it.

**S. SMITH:** if he could put (2) 4ft fluorescents up there that would be sufficient.

**P. SHURGOT:** could we look into the LED'S and for a wish list could we work on getting LED's for around the building?

**J. THOMAS:** I was approached by the fire department for the garage downstairs but I put that on the back burner. They have a contact that they use so I'll work on that.

**UTILITIES – K. PETERSON:** I have nothing to report

**SOLICITOR – G. EVASHAVIK:** as the engineer reported we have the CITF condemnation projects. They requested legal clearances so I went through all these fills and made sure that the condemnation and Judaification's were completed for 5 of them we condemned. The other one is already owned by the 3 taxing bodies and I have consent to raze the structure. I provided the legal clearance letters to the COG to satisfy their request. Last month we talked about the new ordinance that was drafted, it was advertised and is for consideration of council tonight. This is an ordinance that regulates street openings. The ordinance was recommended by the engineer and is available for review.

**F. ACE – WELSH AVENUE:** so if they were to tear up the brick on Wall Avenue would they have to replace the brick?

BOROUGH OF WILMERDING  
MINUTES FROM OCTOBER 3, 2017 REGULAR MEETING OF BOROUGH COUNCIL

**G. EVASHAVIK:** all those specs were drafted by the engineer so I would have to look through it to answer that but I can tell you we upgraded and improved all the specification to make it similar to what is was before. I'd say that is probably the case to make the restoration close to what it was previously and not just put patches in. We want them to go curb to curb to maintain the integrity of the street and not just through a patch in.

**S. SMITH / P. SHURGOT TO INACT THE STREET OPENING ORDINANCE. MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL 7-0.**

**FINANCE – J. THOMAS:**

**J. THOMAS / P. SHURGOT TO PAY AUTHORIZED BILLS. MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL 7-0.**

One other thing in finance, we talked earlier about the liens we file on delinquent properties. Our commissioners changed the cost that municipalities have to pay to file a lien. Last year we paid \$1820.00 for 80 some liens. It used to be \$20.00each now they tripled it and we have to pay \$60.00 each. We will get the list from Maiello and sit down and pick and choose. They changed it the beginning of the year and it was not budgeted, I don't think they realize how this affects the smaller communities. We have to have those liens because that's the only way to guarantee we get our money when the sell.

**RECREATION – P. SHURGOT:**

**P. SHURGOT / S. SMITH TO RELEASE THE \$400.00 THAT WAS BUDGETED FOR THE HALLOWEEN FESTIVITIES THIS YEAR. MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL 7-0.**

The Halloween parade will be on Saturday October 28, 2017. Registration will begin at 10:30am; parade will begin at 11:00 am. The kids will march down Station Street to the park, up Westinghouse to the park. Other activities will be held in the park until 1:00 pm. Can we get the horses for that?

**INSPECTOR KEARNS:** I will check on it

**P. SHURGOT:** Trick or treating will be on October 31 from 6:00pm to 7:30pm. Linda you said the police were going to bring you the bags and you had stuff to put in them?

**L. KIRK:** we are working on it with crime watch next week. I'm not sure if he's getting them for all the kids but I will talk to him.

**P. SHURGOT:** I told him I need 75. If he can't get them let me know.

**PLANNING – REV. REEVES:** We had our meeting last week and Joyce is doing very good work trying to get the playground on this side of town, which has been my dream since I got in this town. She does all the critical work and investigations and gets them in on time. We are trying to get with the Charlie Batch foundation to see if they would be able to donate playground equipment.\_We will still be getting our pumpkins for the party on Saturday.

**OLD BUSINESS:**

**S. SMITH:** Update on the flea market, we have approximately 25 people registered and we have asked that no food vendors come in because we have Pasquale's doing a lunch deal. Its showing a lot of interest and it will be rain or shine. If you bring it you take it home. Over the course of the summer I have been telling you of the complication with the Pitt students. Today was my deadline, if I did not hear from those students in that program I took it off the table. We are

BOROUGH OF WILMERDING  
MINUTES FROM OCTOBER 3, 2017 REGULAR MEETING OF BOROUGH COUNCIL

not getting PITT students this year. We are not getting the students but we are getting 2 dumpsters for the residents, not the contractors from the area, to get rid of things that the garbage men would not pick up. NO ELECTRONICS OR TIRES. One dumpster will be on Herman Avenue and the other will be on Avenue U. The dumpsters will come on Friday October 20<sup>th</sup> and leave on Monday October 23<sup>rd</sup>.

**P. SHURGOT:** I know the Mayor has talked to guy at Big's about leaving the garbage cans in the middle of the road but it is still happening. I would like to have Caroline draft a letter that we want a meeting to discuss the issue. What does the contract say about cans?

**S. SMITH:** I think it says they should turn them upside down at the property line.

**NEW BUSINESS:**

**L. KIRK:** Crime watch officially changed from the 2<sup>nd</sup> Monday of the month to the 2<sup>nd</sup> Tuesday of the month at 6:00pm. However in November that will be Election Day so we will have to change it.

**J. THOMAS:** the borough billed the spill on Caldwell Avenue and we were compensated \$2000.00. I would like to donate \$1000.00 to the fire department for their work, crew, and use of equipment. The guy didn't want to turn it into his insurance so Mr. Hussy sent a bill for the time and equipment used by the Borough.

**J. THOMAS / L. KIRK TO SPILT THE FIRE DEPARTMENT HALF OF THE \$2000.00 COLLECTED FOR THE CLEAN UP ON CALDWELL AVENUE. MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL 7-0.**

**T. FRYDRICH WELSH AVENUE:** is the borough having any success on the delinquent garbage bills?

**S. SHURGOT:** we turned the list over to Maiello we have not gotten any results yet but they need to get it entered into their system so they can proceed.

**T. FRYDRICH:** is there a way to stop service to those.

**S. SHURGOT:** we called about that but what they will do is take it to someone else's lot or just leave it there. So we elected not to do that.

**G. JAKUB:** there is no real solution to the garbage problem.

**T. FRYDRICH:** it's getting out of hand though. That's a lot of money that the borough could use. I watch every week one individual that is in arrears, it takes them more time to pick up at that house than probably 10 other houses.

**G. JAKUB:** you can call the garbage company and they can out it on the do not pick up list but then who picks it up off the street, the Borough.

**MAYORS REMARKS – G. JAKUB:** the school has had to change the open house from the 21<sup>st</sup> of October to the 28<sup>th</sup>. They would also like to thank the Borough, Moon Township, and Michael Jakub for the donation of the school zone signs. Also, I want to thank our Public Works, Tony did a quick job getting the do not enter sign posted at the end of Herman Avenue. Thanks you Inspector Kearns and your officers because of the diligence we have confirmed there is no longer a problem in the circle.

Meeting adjourned 7:46 p.m.